Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Fleeting Novelty of the Novelty Christmas Song

This is a big year for the most famous novelty Christmas song ever, as it is the 30th anniversary of the immortal, much-maligned "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."

Good Morning America did a segment on the tune, but annoyingly doesn't allow you to embed their videos, so you'll have to go to their site to watch it.

After hearing the back story, I actually appreciate the song a little more now. I've followed a strict "turn it off" policy for the last several years, but seeing Dr. Elmo, an old retired veterinarian who recorded the song for his friends and never expected it to go anywhere, the whole thing is a bit more palatable. It's not his fault the radio drove his song into the ground.

Also, I had somehow never seen the 1983 music video.

Novelty songs are aptly named, as the novelty usually wears off after a few listens. Nevertheless, I've heard a few over the years that have stuck with me and are worth dusting off once every Christmas season.

In no particular order, here are my Top 5 Novelty Christmas Songs. Don't overdo it.

No comments:

Google